The holidays are upon us … hooray! And with the snow and colder temperatures have also come several hot, new openings downtown (see what I did there?) 😉
- If you haven’t spent an afternoon or evening at the holiday markets downtown, do yourself a favor and get there soon. Beside adorable pop-up shops, there’s a rug-laden and cozy-couch-strewn tent called Cadillac Lodge that serves up spiked hot beverages, as well as the ice rink for skating and the giant Campus Martius tree for gazing at. No matter your age, there’s plenty to see and do if you’re feeling the holiday spirit. In other words, if you haven’t gotten those engagement photos taken yet … THIS IS YOUR CHANCE! All the feels.
- A luxe new steakhouse – Prime and Proper – has opened in Capitol Park. I’ve been told that reservations are hard to come by at this point, but see if you can’t pop in for a drink and bite at the bar to soak up the vibe. Black, cream and gold Art Deco accents feel fresh, the service is superb, and the menu is mighty tempting. If you’re planning a girl’s night out or, say, a fancy bachelorette party, this is the place to begin.
- Also in Capitol Park, new spots Eatori (lovely little bar, open til midnight) and brick-oven pizza joint La Lanterna (brought to you by the owners of Foxtown Grille), both cozy spots to grab a casual meal or end your evening with a glass of wine.
- Did you know that last year, a bridal shop dubbed Beautiful Bridal with Keasha Rigsby opened up on Jefferson Ave., just a few blocks east of the Renaissance Center? I’ve driven past it several times, but never thoroughly explored. I’m excited to see that it’s not only a bridal boutique, but a venue for events like bridal showers, and – gasp – weddings! Housed in the Bagley Masion, it’s a gorgeous estate that we’re dying to check out.
- In the Fisher Building, a restored retail space is now a stunning setting for The Peacock Room‘s second location. Find unique jewelry, hundreds of dresses and major vintage vibes at this shop. Perfect when you’re in need of a bridal shower or rehearsal dinner dress, as well as little bridesmaid thank-you gifts.
- In a gifting pinch for the fella? Head over to Filson on Canfield (right near Shinola) and browse their outdoorsy men’s goods. You’ll pay more for the high quality, but we don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Choose from lined flannels, waxed puff vests and wool caps. Be sure to slink by the small women’s section before you leave.